Prevention, early detection, and treatment of childhood dental diseases
Superior oral health is vital for every child’s development, and we’re here to help every step of the way. The pediatric dentistry division at Maimonides Children’s Hospital focuses on the prevention, early detection, and treatment of childhood dental diseases and has been serving the community since 1994.
Outstanding dentistry services are offered, including the special needs of medically complex and developmentally delayed children, adolescents, and adults. We have a committed cleft palate team specializing in craniofacial irregularities. Our board-certified dentists work closely with other related divisions, such as anesthesiology and pediatric surgery, offering the most comprehensive care possible 24/7. This collaborative approach with other pediatric medical services is just one of the reasons Maimonides is consistently ranked as one of the best children’s hospitals in the country.
Pediatric dentistry services
Children as young as six months old can be seen for a comprehensive dental evaluation, which includes a caries risk assessment and the development of an individualized preventive program. Dental cleanings, sealants, and fluoride treatments are also available.
Oral health education is an important part of our mission. We work with parents and guardians to ensure they have the information and resources they need to help their children maintain good oral health habits.
Our state-of-the-art facility is equipped with the latest technology to make every child’s visit as comfortable and efficient as possible.
Conditions we treat
Children can develop a wide range of dental problems, and we are equipped to handle them all, including:
- Cavities – Also called “tooth decay” or “dental caries,” cavities are tiny holes that form in teeth. If not treated, cavities can lead to infections, pain, and tooth loss.
- Childhood dental diseases – We specialize in the prevention and treatment of a variety of dental diseases that commonly affect children, such as early childhood caries (ECC), fluorosis, and various types of gum disease.
- Cleft lip, palate, and other craniofacial issues – These conditions are often due to a combination of genetic and environmental factors. We work with other specialists in the hospital to provide comprehensive care for children born with these conditions.
- Swelling – If your child’s face or jaw is swollen, it could be due to an infection or an abscess (a collection of pus). We will assess the situation and determine the best course of treatment.
- Tooth fractures – If your child has a tooth that is cracked, chipped, or broken, we can repair it using one of several methods, depending on the extent of the damage.
- Tooth pain – We can help diagnose the cause of your child’s tooth pain and provide relief.
Services we offer
When it comes to dental care, we offer a full range of services for children of all ages, including:
- Anesthesia – We offer a variety of anesthesia options to make sure your child is comfortable during treatment.
- Full orthodontic services – Our team includes specialists in orthodontics (braces), who work closely with our other specialists to provide comprehensive care.
- Oral surgery – We offer a wide range of oral surgery services, from simple extractions to complex procedures such as cleft palate repair.
- Routine dental diagnosis and care – We provide comprehensive dental care, including cleanings, sealants, fluoride treatments, and more.
All of our pediatric dentistry services are family-centered in an environment created just for children. Our goal is to provide your child with the best possible dental care in a safe, comfortable setting. As Brooklyn’s only pediatric hospital, we offer the most comprehensive dental care available for children and adolescents.