A nationally ranked leader in breast cancer care
Maimonides Breast Center is a national leader in breast cancer treatment and care. The American College of Surgeons places us in the top 5% of breast care providers, and we have full accreditation from the American College of Surgeons. This means we meet the highest standards for breast disease care, from using the most advanced technologies to provide accurate and timely diagnoses, to offering a full range of traditional and alternative treatments. At Maimonides, we treat the whole patient, not just the disease. Our dedicated team of breast and reconstructive surgeons, oncologists, radiologists, and other experts tailor therapies to your unique diagnosis, monitor your care, answer your questions, and guide you every step of the way.
Almost every woman in the United States knows someone who’s had breast cancer. According to the American Cancer Society, breast cancer claims about 40,000 lives a year, making it the second leading cause of cancer death among women. However, there is good news. Ongoing developments in early detection and treatment therapies mean that more women are surviving breast cancer today than ever before.
Maimonides Breast Center meets the American College of Surgeons’ highest standards for breast care
I’m so happy I ended up at Maimonides. There is no place I would rather be. The attention is so personal. The staff is outstanding. I’ve never felt like a number. I’ve never felt like just another statistic. I’ve always felt like a person. This is the best place in the world.
Since the day I showed up here, I felt very welcomed. I felt like I had so much hope here. They didn’t look at me as someone who was dying, but someone that could be saved.
I feel so comfortable here. I’m very happy with where I chose to get my treatment. They made me feel relaxed throughout the process —like I was at home. I’m going to miss my care team!
What is breast cancer?
Breast cancer occurs when cells within the tissues of the breast multiply abnormally and form tumors, which can be noncancerous (benign) or cancerous (malignant). The most common types of breast cancers are ductal carcinoma, which starts in the tubes (ducts) that move milk from the breast to the nipple, and lobular carcinoma, which starts in the breast’s lobules that produce milk.
Quality cancer care
- Breast surgery
- Minimally-invasive techniques – Allows for increased surgical precision to help reduce scarring and incision size, and blood loss, as well as an expedited recovery
- Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Protocol – Specialists apply opioid-sparing techniques post-surgery. Our surgeons are committed to limiting the use of opioids following lumpectomy and mastectomy
- Biological therapy and immunotherapy
- This targeted treatment induces the immune system to recognize and kill cancer cells
- Treatment that uses drugs to stop the growth of cancer cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them from dividing
- Clinical trials
- Clinical trials allow you to try an alternative therapy for potentially treating cancer or relieve treatment side effects. All of today’s standard cancer treatments are a result of previous clinical trials
- Hormone therapy
- Hormone therapy can slow or stop hormone-sensitive tumor growth by blocking the ability to produce hormones or by interfering with the effects of hormones on cancer cells
- Next-generation imaging and diagnostic tools
- Tomosynthesis 3D Mammography System
- Brachytherapy and Interstitial Brachytherapy
- Electron Beam Therapy
- External Beam Radiation
- Three-Dimensional Conformal Radiation Therapy (3D-CRT)
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Neutron Beam Therapy
- Stereotactic Radiotherapy
- Stereotactic Biopsy Table
- Wire-Free Radar Localization for Lumpectomy
- Reconstructive breast surgery
- Our surgeons are dedicated to preserving and restoring your breasts, whenever possible. When reconstruction is necessary, our plastic surgeons will help you choose the best option based on your individual needs. We offer both implant-based and autologous reconstruction, which uses your own tissue to create natural-looking breasts
- Behavioral health
- Patients have access to a specialty assessment that can help the psychological, emotional, cognitive and behavioral problems that are common among individuals with cancer. Our behavioral healthcare team includes a psychiatrist and psychologist with expertise in treating patients with cancer
- Genetic testing and counseling
- Individuals identified as having a high-risk for cancer have access to tailored medical management plans to detect cancers at early stages or prevent their occurrence entirely
- Nutrition counseling
- Dietitians provide patients with guidance on how to appropriately nourish their bodies before, during, and after treatment. Proper nutrition can help patients gain or maintain weight, sustain energy and strength, lessen treatment side effects, improve response to cancer therapy, and reduce complications of treatment
- Pain management
Maimonides is nationally recognized for its enhanced recovery after surgery pain management protocols, which minimizes the need for addictive pain medicines such as opioids and promotes responsible prescribing to lower addiction risk. We manage pain with long-acting local anesthesia and alternative pain relievers. Plus, we offer a wide range of patient support programs, including mental health and social work services, genetic and nutritional counseling, physical rehabilitation, palliative care, prevention and screening, and financial assistance
- Palliative care
- Palliative care can help patients better manage post-surgical pain and treatment side effects, such as nausea, fatigue, depression, or anxiety
- Practical and financial assistance
- Social workers assist patients with applications to programs that offer practical and financial assistance
- Sexual health after cancer treatment
- Breast cancer experts collaborate with the Maimonides Pelvic Floor Center to provide treatment for sexual health problems that may develop as a result of cancer treatments. The Maimonides Pelvic Floor Center is a highly specialized, state-of-the-art facility providing a multidisciplinary approach to care for patients suffering from pelvic/sexual health issues as a result of cancer treatment.
- It is one of the few facilities of its kind in New York City, and the only center in Brooklyn to offer seamless access to the full array of expert professionals involved in the care of these conditions.
- The Pelvic Floor Center team is comprised of fellowship-trained and board-certified specialists including urogynecologists, gynecologists, urologists, and colon and rectal surgeons.
- Social work
Social workers help empower patients and families through all phases of the cancer journey. They help patients access information to understand their diagnosis and treatments, as well as offer practical and emotional support in coping with the disease.
Our breast cancer specialists have trained and worked at the nation’s leading institutions:
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Brown University
- Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians & Surgeons
- Harvard Medical School
- Lenox Hill Hospital
- Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans
- Maimonides Medical Center
- McGill University
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Michigan Medicine: University of Michigan
- New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai
- NewYork-Presbyterian Queens
- NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- NYU School of Medicine
- Tufts University School of Medicine
- Weill Cornell Medicine
- Women & Infants Hospital
- Yale School of Medicine
Our approach to care
Our team works together to develop the most effective treatment plan for each patient. We provide individualized care that meets the unique needs of our patients. We are committed to excellent clinical care with a focus on you.
Patients honor the Maimonides Breast Center and Dr. Patrick Borgen
Breast cancer screening for early detection
Detecting cancer early, when it’s most treatable, is key to our success. Our Erminia Rivera Breast Imaging Center of Excellence is one of the few imaging units in the New York area that is entirely digital—reducing radiation exposure, increasing accuracy, and achieving immediate and precise results. Breast cancer team members review images in real-time, so you don’t have to return for extra testing.
We use the latest technology, including:
- 3D mammograms (tomosynthesis)
- Breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Breast ultrasound
- Breast biopsy
- Lymph node biopsy to check for cancer spread
We partner with the New York State Cancer Services Program to provide free mammograms and other breast screenings to uninsured and underinsured women
Every Friday from 9 a.m. to noon, we provide screening for women who are:
- 40 and older
- Younger than 40 and at high risk for breast cancer
Expert medical care with a focus on you
Our doctors are pioneers in the fields of radiation oncology, hematology oncology, plastic surgery, breast imaging, and breast surgery, and are leading presenters at nationally attended symposia. Our multidisciplinary team of experts works together and is deeply committed to offering you providing the highest level of care throughout your healthcare journey.