A multidisciplinary approach to critical care
Critical Care, or Intensive Care, is the specialized care of patients whose conditions are life-threatening and who require complex care and constant monitoring to maintain normal bodily functions. There are multiple critical care units within Maimonides Medical Center, each with a specialized focus.
These specialized intensive care units (ICUs) at Maimonides were created to benefit every patient in need of critical care, because they can receive ideal treatment from the most experienced specialists for their specific health needs.
Critical care also requires a multidisciplinary approach and collaboration among specialties to meet each patient’s medical needs, shorten the stay in the hospital, reduce complications, and help avoid readmission.
Critical care starts with intensivists – doctors who specialize in the treatment of patients in intensive care and intermediate care units. Intensivists oversee the patient’s care from the time they enter the unit, working closely with the admitting physician and the patient’s primary care provider.
Critical Care Units at Maimonides Medical Center
We are a level 1 trauma center and a comprehensive stroke center. Our critical care units are staffed by advanced practice providers and physicians who are board-certified in neurocritical care.
- The 20-bed Medical ICU is staffed by board-certified critical care physicians and specially trained critical care nurses
- The 13-bed Surgical/Trauma/Neuroscience ICU is focused primarily on caring for patients with complex general surgical, trauma and neurocritical issues. There is an EICU, or Tele ICU, that was recently added as another layer of safety for complex patients, with providers monitoring vital signs virtually around the clock – this virtual component of critical care is being piloted in the surgical ICU
- The 12-bed Surgical Progressive Care Unit is focused on transitioning patients from the ICU level care to more routine inpatient medical needs
- The 12-bed Cardiothoracic ICU is an ELSO-certified regional center of excellence caring for patients after cardiac surgery
- The 10-bed Cardiac ICU provides care to a large variety of cardiac patients, including patients with Coronary Artery Disease, Myocardial Infarction, Valvular Heart Disease, Congestive Heart Failure and Cardiac Arrhythmia. As a tertiary care cardiac center, we also accept many critically ill cardiac patients from other hospitals for services that they do not provide
For more information on Neonatal and Pediatric Intensive Care, including the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) and the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), please visit our dedicated Neonatal and Pediatric Intensive Care page.
Contact our critical care units
Please call the Maimonides Main Number for all inquiries: (718) 283-6000
Maimonides Medical Center is located at 4802 Tenth Avenue, Brooklyn NY 11219
For visitor, parking/directions and other information, please refer here: Patients & Visitors | Maimonides Medical Center