A message from Kenneth Gibbs, Maimonides President and CEO
Maimonides is proud to be Brooklyn’s leading medical center for the most sophisticated services, providing outstanding care to the borough’s residents across their lifespans. Our nationally recognized clinical services ensure that Brooklyn residents receive the best care – right here in Brooklyn.
We offer centers of excellence in Heart and Vascular Care, Cancer and Breast Care, Neurosciences/Stroke, and Orthopedics. Maimonides has the largest and most experienced robotic surgery team in Brooklyn, and we have the borough’s only two hybrid operating rooms in which complex surgeries are performed using the most advanced technology. We also offer primary care services through a growing network of physicians across Brooklyn.
Kenneth D. Gibbs
CEO, Maimonides Health
President & CEO, Maimonides Medical Center
Learn More About Our CEO
Kenneth D. Gibbs has served as CEO of Maimonides Medical Center (MMC) since January 2016. In March of 2022 he also took on the role of President of Maimonides Health, the Brooklyn-based health system that includes both MMC and Maimonides Midwood Community Hospital (MMCH) as well as a broad network of ambulatory services.
Mr. Gibbs joined the Board of Trustees at Maimonides Medical Center in 2013 and was Chair from May 2014 through December 2015, during which time Maimonides formed an affiliation with Northwell Health.
During his tenure as President & CEO, MMC has continued to build upon its legacy of clinical excellence and innovation, achieving designation as an Advanced Comprehensive Stroke Center and establishing Brooklyn’s only Pediatric Trauma Center and Comprehensive Spine Center. For each of the last four years, Maimonides has ranked among the top 10 health systems nationwide for clinical performance according to comparative data published by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. The Maimonides Heart and Vascular Institute is consistently among the nation’s top performers and in 2020 ranked #1 in the nation for heart attack survival rates. Maimonides’ Jaffe Comprehensive Stroke Center is among the top 1% in the U.S. for patient survival rates.
As President & CEO Mr. Gibbs has overseen the development of several significant capital and strategic initiatives. In 2018 Maimonides formed a relationship with MMCH (then known as New York Community Hospital), leading up to an affiliation agreement through which MMCH became part of Maimonides in 2021. Also in 2020, Maimonides issued $140 million in bonds to finance a major modernization of the main campus including creation of Brooklyn’s first stand-alone pediatric emergency department.
Mr. Gibbs is Chair of the Board of Healthfirst and currently serves on the Board of the Greater New York Hospital Association and the Healthcare Association of New York State.
Before leading Maimonides, Mr. Gibbs was President of the Municipal Securities Group of Jefferies, LLC for seven years. Prior to that, he was the CEO of DEPFA First Albany Securities, LLC and held several leadership positions at First Albany Capital, Inc. over the course of 14 years. He also held various investment banking positions at Lazard Freres, First Boston and Kidder Peabody.
Mr. Gibbs is a member of the Executive Committee and past Chair of the Board of Trustees of the New York Citizens Budget Commission. He is a member of the Board of Rubicon Infrastructure Advisors. He is a past Chair of the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA) PAC, past Chair of SIFMA’s Municipal Executive Committee and a past member of the Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board.
Mr. Gibbs holds a B.A. from Harvard College. He is a native New Yorker and with his wife has raised four children.
Maimonides is committed to providing outstanding care to Brooklyn
- We are home to the most advanced team of orthopedic specialists in the region at our Bone and Joint Center; plus, we’re Brooklyn’s only Comprehensive Spine Center
- The Maimonides Cancer Center is Brooklyn’s only full-service Cancer Center accredited with perfect scores in all categories (Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons)
- The Maimonides Heart and Vascular Institute offers the most advanced treatment available to all cardiovascular patients and significantly improves the lives of congestive heart failure patients
- We have the only Children’s Hospital in Brooklyn (Vermont Oxford Network)
- The Stella and Joseph Payson Birthing Center supports more babies than any other hospital in New York State (New York State Department of Health)
- The Jaffe Comprehensive Stroke Center offers cutting-edge techniques and new hope for stroke victims and is considered an Advanced Comprehensive Stroke Center (New York State Department of Health)
- We are also 1 of the country’s largest independent teaching hospitals, training 500 residents and fellows each year across a number of clinical specialties including medicine, surgery, pediatrics, OB-GYN, orthopedics, emergency medicine, and radiology
- Jeffrey R. Avner, MD, Pediatrics
- Patrick I. Borgen, MD, Surgery
- Jack Choueka, MD, Orthopedics
- Scott Chudnoff, MD, Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Bernadine Donahue, MD, Radiation Oncology
- Anthony N. Kalloo, MD, Medicine
- Mark Kronenfeld, MD, Anesthesiology
- Jenny Libien, MD, PhD, Pathology
- John P. Marshall, MD, Emergency Medicine
- Daniel Rosenbaum, MD, Neurology
- Jacob Shani, MD, Cardiology
- Steven Shankman, MD, Radiology
- Abraham M. Taub, DO, Psychiatry
- David I. Cohen, MD, EVP, Population Health & Academic Affairs
- Douglas Jablon, EVP, Community Relations & Special Assistant to the President
- Robert Palermo, EVP, Chief Financial Officer
- Robert Press, MD, PhD, EVP, Medical Affairs
- Jeanie Kim Carpenter, SVP, Physician Network Operations
- Frank DeGratto, SVP, Revenue Cycle
- Declan Doyle, SVP, Operations & Clinical Services
- Robin Gitman, VP, Academic Affairs & DIO
- Rivka Mintz, VP & Interim Chief Nursing Officer
- Sameh Samy, MBBCh, VP & Chief Quality Officer
- Judy Bachman, EVP, Chief Transformation Officer & Interim Chief Operating Officer
"I'm confident that the more you know about this wonderful organization, the more you will want us to be your hospital, whether as a patient, volunteer, donor, or supporter."
- Kenneth Gibbs, President and Chief Executive Officer
Board Of Trustees
- Eugene Keilin, Chair
- Peter Rebenwurzel, Vice-Chair
- Erminia Rivera, Vice-Chair
- Alex Rovt, PhD, Vice-Chair
- Paul T. Addison, Treasurer
- Frank A. Naccarato, Secretary
- Donna Astion, MD
- Richard A. Barasch
- Joseph Bruno
- Rev. Msgr. David Cassato
- Jeffrey Fenster
- Chaim Fischer
- Yehoshua Fruchthandler
- Monica Ghitan, MD
- Kenneth D. Gibbs
- Jack A. Hidary
- Lofton Holder
- Mortimer N. Klaus
- George Liu, MD
- Robert Machinist
- Donald Meltzer
- Azzam Obeid
- Martin Payson
- Trevor Price
- Avi Schron
- Mary Singh
- David Spira
- Aaron D. Twerski
- Marty Waisbrod
- George Weinberger
- Michael L. Ziegler, Esq.
- Irwin M. Birnbaum
- Chaim H. Leshkowitz
- Norman A. Ohrwashel
- Alfred Schonberger
Teamwork is our top priority
Our leaders are committed to creating an environment that encompasses teamwork, respect, and fosters a culture of innovation. Maimonides continues to pioneer technology to provide exceptional patient care to our Brooklyn community.
Maimonides—we are Brooklyn born, respected everywhere. #OneMaimonides