Exceptional and comprehensive care
Maimonides Geriatrics is dedicated to meeting the unique needs of older adults, including mobility and self-care limitations. Our physicians are board-certified in Internal Medicine, with specialized training in geriatric medicine. When it comes to Geriatric Medicine, our team understands and specializes in meeting the unique health needs of older patients, and includes geriatric nurse practitioners, a social worker, a patient care coordinator, and a medical office assistant.
Our team addresses our patients’ medical and psycho-social problems and coordinates a plan of care with other medical specialists, therapists, and home care agencies. We provide comprehensive care to medically complex patients in the office, in the hospital, and, when needed, in our patients’ homes – when you’re a patient of Maimonides Geriatric Medicine, you’ll receive coordinated care where you need it.
As a patient of Maimonides Geriatric Medicine, you’ll have access to regular outpatient care through our office, the ACE Unit at Maimonides Medical Center for inpatient care, and home-based medical care when needed. Through our office, we’ll work with you and your caregivers to make sure your needs are met through every transition.
Conditions addressed by our Geriatric Medicine team:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Complex medical illnesses
- Falls and gait disorders
- Incontinence in men and women
- Loss of function
- Medication management
- Memory difficulties
- Pain and palliative care
- Wound and pressure ulcers
Aligning care for seniors’ unique needs
At Maimonides Geriatric Medicine, we strive to provide highly coordinated care across the continuum of needs:
- We address your medical illnesses and assure your care is coordinated with other specialists, home care providers, emergency, hospital staff, and social services.
- We review all your medications for interactions, appropriate dosages, and side effects.
- We develop a comprehensive care plan to meet each persons’ individual goals and to maximize mental and physical function.
- We have expertise in managing memory loss, depression, falls and mobility problems, pressure ulcers, frailty, sleep disorders, loneliness, osteoporosis, incontinence, and arthritis.
- We monitor your health and keep you healthy with appropriate screenings, tests, and immunizations.
- We guide you through end-of-life challenges, including establishing advance directives.
Please contact our Geriatric Medicine outpatient practice for more information about primary care and consultation services.
Geriatric Outpatient Practice
4719 Fort Hamilton Parkway – 1st Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11219
Meet Our Team
Learn more about:
Acute Care for the Elderly (ACE): Hospital inpatient geriatric care at Maimonides Medical Center
As a patient of Maimonides Geriatric Medicine, you’ll be under the care of our team if you’re hospitalized. The Acute Care for the Elderly (ACE) Unit at Maimonides Medical Center is a designated floor in the hospital, staffed with a board-certified geriatrician at the helm. In addition to providing routine medical care, the team on this floor focuses on the specific needs of the elderly hospitalized patient. ACE is an interdisciplinary inpatient service designed to meet the special needs of older patients with an emphasis on the continuity, coordination, quality, and dignity of care provided. While at the hospital, the ACE team will work to assess any complex needs that patient may have, including underlying causes of falls or frailty.
The ACE Unit serves as a bridge between hospital and community healthcare providers. Discharged patients are given a comprehensive discharge plan. As discharge from the hospital can be overwhelming and challenging, our team may recommend a follow-up, one-time home visit by our team’s nurse practitioner to review all the medications, assure that the patient is continuing to get well and that all needed services are in place.
Maimonides Home Medical Care for the Elderly
The Maimonides Home Medical Care for the Elderly Program is a home-based primary care service that delivers holistic, personalized, coordinated, high-quality medical services to homebound elderly individuals in the comfort of their homes. Our nurse practitioners visit patients at home at regular intervals, and as needed, to provide a variety of health services. The treatment plans focus on maximizing independence and function at home. We serve multiple areas including, Manhattan Beach, Brighton Beach, Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge, Sheepshead Bay, Mill Basin, Borough Park, Sunset Park, Midwood, Park Slope, Marine Park, Gravesend, Bath Beach, Dyker Heights, Fort Hamilton Kensington, and Windsor Terrace.
Our team provides knowledgeable, personalized care at home, including:
- 24-hour answering service
- Active involvement with patients, their families, and home care nurses
- Diagnostic and laboratory tests at home
- Assessment of the home environment
- Assistance with psychosocial and healthcare needs, including prescriptions, home care, supplies, and forms
- Coordination of care and referrals to nursing, social work services, and medical specialists as needed
- End of life counseling and hospice referrals
- Guidance and information regarding advance directives and appointment of a healthcare proxy
- Health education, nutritional counseling, and vaccinations
- Multilingual staff