We incorporate the latest technology to optimize patient care
In 1911, a group of concerned women opened a dispensary to serve the poor and needy residents of their Brooklyn neighborhood, planting the seed that would grow into Maimonides Medical Center. Over the last century, Maimonides has become a top medical care center and a vital part of New York City. Our physicians pioneered significant advancements in the field of medicine, and now, in our second century, we continue to provide excellent clinical care to our diverse patient population.
Our roots in Brooklyn run deep
The last 110+ years have been defined by achievement and growth, as Maimonides evolved from a small dispensary serving the poor and needy to a thriving, globally recognized medical center.
The name Maimonides comes from Rabbi Moshe Ben Maimon, a brilliant 12th-century philosopher who laid the foundation for the modern medical training of physicians. Rabbi Maimon, better known as Maimonides, was deeply committed to cultural tolerance and humane care, as well as high medical standards.
We have practiced our namesake’s philosophy by embodying the passion and persona of Rabbi Maimon. Maimonides was founded as the New Utrecht Dispensary, but in 1919, several smaller dispensaries were consolidated, and New Utrecht became Israel Hospital of Brooklyn. Then in 1920, we merged with Zion hospital and became United Israel Zion Hospital. New facilities, like the building that is now our Administration building on Tenth Avenue, were built to accommodate our growing number of patients. In 1947, United Israel Zion and Beth Moses hospitals were merged to create the medical center as it exists today, and the hospital was renamed in honor of Maimonides. We are home to 24 accredited residency and fellowship programs, training nearly 500 physicians each year.
“The physician should not treat the disease, but rather the patient who is suffering from it.”
- Rabbi Maimon (aka Maimonides)
As Maimonides continues its 2nd century of service, we use the latest technology in our facilities to provide high-quality, personalized healthcare for all of our patients
Our awards and recognition
- Brooklyn’s first full-service Cancer Center, accredited with perfect scores in all categories (Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons)
- Our Cardiac valve surgery outcomes are better than any Manhattan program (New York State Department of Health)
- Top 1% in New York for angioplasty and stents (New York State Department of Health)
- Recipient of the highest honors category of the American Stroke Association for 14 consecutive years (American Stroke Association)
- Ranked among the top 1% of hospitals in the nation for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, and pulmonary disease 30-day mortality rates (U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services)
- A designated Regional Perinatal Center, accepting transfers of all high-risk pregnancies and newborns.
- Brooklyn’s 1st and only pediatric trauma center (New York State Department of Health)
- An accredited Comprehensive Stroke Center (New York State Department of Health)
Maimonides—ahead of its time for more than a century
Our patient-centered commitment to care is instilled throughout our staff, the hospital, and our centers of excellence. We are a Brooklyn-born hospital at the forefront of innovation, technology, research, and medicine, and we are proud to offer you the best care.