Specialized Neuromuscular Care for Children & Adults in Brooklyn
Maimonides offers comprehensive, personalized care for children and adults living with muscular dystrophy, ALS, and other neuromuscular diseases.
We are Brooklyn’s only Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) Clinic, in partnership with SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University, and one of only 250 clinics in the U.S. certified by the MDA, which recognizes the quality of care.
What is muscular dystrophy? Muscular dystrophy is a group of genetic diseases that cause progressive weakness and loss of muscle mass in adults and children.
We treat all neuromuscular conditions including
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) – Lou Gehrig’s Disease
- Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD)
- Hereditary neuropathies such as Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT)
- Inflammatory myopathies
- Limb-girdle muscular dystrophies (LGMD)
- Myasthenia gravis (MG)
- Myotonic dystrophy (MD)
- Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA)
Patients with muscular dystrophy have complex, long-term needs and require a multidisciplinary approach to care, including
- Medical management
- Orthotics such as braces and splints to improve mobility
- Physical therapy at Maimonides Rehabilitation Center
- Respiratory therapy to address problems with the lungs or breathing
- Nutrition counseling
- Promising new treatments such as gene therapy
Our neuromuscular experts are conveniently located in Brooklyn. When patients visit the clinic, they have access to our full team including board-certified physicians, nurse practitioners (NPs), respiratory therapists, orthotists, physical therapists, nutritionists, as well as social workers to help patients and families navigate care and services.
We work closely with other physicians involved in patients’ care, including cardiologists, orthopedists, pulmonologists, rheumatologists, genetic testing specialists, pediatricians, primary care physicians, and others to address each patient’s individual needs.
Request an Appointment
Online: Click Here
Call: 718-283-7470 and choose the MDA clinic option.
Clinic Hours: 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month, 9:00 am to 12:00 pm.
Location: Maimonides Doctors, 6323 7th Avenue, Brooklyn, 11220.