Our philosophy on nursing
The nursing team at Maimonides is committed to patient advocacy, professionalism, prudent activism, and continuous improvement. Our nurses are well-respected partners in the care and healing process. They work in collaboration with our physicians, as well as members of a multidisciplinary team.
While Maimonides is nationally recognized for its use of cutting-edge technology, it takes the right group of individuals to bring those state-of-the-art innovations to fruition. Our nursing leadership believes in ongoing skill development and has set a standard for all nurses that fosters continuous learning and professional growth.
Become a nurse at Maimonides
A nursing career at Maimonides will provide you with a work environment where your voice is heard and your contributions are respected. We offer tuition reimbursement, academic affiliations with the best nursing education institutions available, and a generous salary and benefits package.
By joining our staff, you will become a part of a dedicated team of healthcare professionals who are committed to delivering quality, personalized patient care. Supported by the latest technological developments in medicine, our nurses provide patients with the most advanced healthcare available.
Our benefits package includes a generous salary as well as differentials for advanced degrees, certification, off-shifts, and experience. We also provide tuition reimbursement, flexible shifts, and seasonal positions with full-time benefits.
We offer the modified part-time nurse program, which allows you to work full-time for only a portion of the year, but still receive your health benefits
Nursing programs with experts from Maimonides
Continuing nursing education and career development
Academic affiliations and on-site courses
Nursing continuing education is central to our mission and a foundation for excellence. We have long-standing academic affiliations with the best nursing education institutions available.
At Maimonides, education encompasses more than advanced medical knowledge. We encourage our nurses to become certified in their chosen clinical areas, and we also provide them with leadership development programs, conferences, symposia, lectures, grand rounds, workshops, internships, and other training. These opportunities foster the management and communication skills necessary to lead in tomorrow’s healthcare world.
For convenience, we offer on-site courses in partnership with Long Island University for nurses interested in earning their BSN or MSN for those who already have their bachelor’s degree. Some of our nurses who have an MSN choose to further their knowledge by serving as adjunct professors at local nursing schools.
Tuition reimbursement is available to full-time and part-time nurses earning advanced degrees in NLN or CCNE accredited nursing programs.
Clinical ladder and senior staff status
Maimonides strongly supports career development. The clinical ladder is a system that encourages nurses to apply for senior staff status. Nurses become eligible to apply for level 1 senior staff status after they have been employed as a nurse at Maimonides for at least 1 year and have met the requirements.
After 2 years as a nurse at Maimonides and the completion of set requirements, a level 1 senior staff member can apply for level 2 senior staff status. Maimonides offers a generous salary, commensurate with each year of prior nursing experience.
Nurse Residency Program
Maimonides offers you a unique opportunity for newly licensed graduate nurses to successfully transition from student to professional nurse in our nurse residency program.
Beginning this year, we are collaborating with Vizient™ and the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)™, to offer the Vizient/AACN Nurse Residency Program™.
Eligibility requirements are:
- Completion of an accredited nursing program
- Passing the NCLEX-RN
- Being a new-hire new-graduate nurse (less than 1-year experience)
- Receiving appropriate state licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN)
If you are interested in the nurse residency, please apply for the RN job of your choice on our website. All new hire new graduate RNs will be enrolled in the program.
Our approach to nursing
Our nursing practice is guided by the:
- American Nurses Association Code of Ethics
- American Nurses Association Scope and Standards of Practice
- American Nurses Association Social Policy Statement
- New York State Board of Nursing Scope of Practice
American Nurses Association Social Nursing Policy Statement
The practice of nursing, indispensable to healthcare and the well-being of society, is the “protection, promotion, and optimization of health and abilities; prevention of illness and injury; alleviation of suffering through the diagnosis and treatment of human responses; and advocacy in health care for individuals, families, communities, and populations.” (American Nurses Association, 2010 p. 3)
American Nurses Association Code Of Ethics
Ethics is an integral foundation of nursing. Nursing’s distinguished history of concern for the welfare of the sick, injured, and vulnerable and for social justice, encompasses the prevention of illness, the alleviation of suffering, and the protection, promotion, and restoration of health in the care of individuals, families, groups, and communities. (ANA Code of Ethics, 2010)
Maimonides framework for nursing practice
- Presence defines the elements and quality of the nurse-patient relationship and how we enter and sustain relationships with our patients and their families
- Pursuit of knowledge reflects the belief in the importance of education and scholarship
- Passion describes the way we approach our work as healthcare providers
- Pride is an important characteristic of teams and groups that achieve great outcomes and it also reflects recognition and personal advancement
- Partnership underscores the primary importance of the competency to work effectively and collaboratively with others
The Maimonides Community of Nurse Scholars
The mission of our Community of Nurse Scholars is to engage nurses to participate in a full range of scholarly activities, including research, evidence-based practice, performance improvement, teaching and learning, and dissemination to influence and improve the quality of nursing care provided to patients, families, and the community.
We foster a professional practice environment in which nurses engage in:
- A collaborative and collegial professional practice environment within the department of nursing and with other disciplines through providing consultation and resources, teaching and learning opportunities, and mentoring and coaching of scholarly activities
- A spirit of inquiry and a culture of evidence-based practice resulting in the translation of knowledge into practice, professional advancement, and improvement in the quality of nursing care
- Application of nursing standards which promote professional autonomy and exemplary professional practice
- Partnerships with academic institutions to strengthen practice by leading change and advancing health through collaborative scholarship
- Scholarly projects that are patient-centered and outcomes-focused
We value our nurses
Our nurses are vital team members at Maimonides, and we appreciate their efforts in advancing medical care and their commitment to our patients. If you join the nursing team at Maimonides, you will be an integral part of making Maimonides a better hospital. Become a part of a healthcare team that is committed to the future of medical care, utilizing the best technology available.
What it means to be a nurse
Maimonides nurses share their stories
- Chief Nursing Officer & Senior Vice President, Thomas Smith, RN
- Vice President, Care Management, M. Alexander Alvarez, RN
- Vice President, Medical & Surgical Nursing, Celeste Bethon, RN
- Vice President, Emergency Nursing, Josephine Imperatrice, RN
- Vice President, Perioperative Services, Carol Kidney, RN
- Vice President, Heart & Vascular Institute, Rivka Mintz, RN
- Vice President, Pediatrics & Chief Learning Officer, Nursing, Kelly Reilly, RN
- Assistant Vice President, Cancer Center, Jessey Bubb, RN
- Assistant Vice President, Psychiatric Nursing, Michael Horlick, RN
- Assistant Vice President, Maternity Services, Lori White, RN
- Director, Nurse Recruitment & Retention, Mary Ann Radioli, RN
Maimonides Medical Center
Mary Ann Radioli, RN, MA
Director, Nurse Recruitment and Retention
4802 10th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11219