Summary of Job
The position of EHR Instructor exists to: Provide effective and timely training of new clinical and operational staff on various electronic health records. The incumbent will serve as a resource in on-going support of staff using these systems. Assist in the implementation of new modules and upgrades and assure a smooth transition to these new systems.
Trainings include group trainings and individual support, as well as training aids. This position is responsible for training on both non-clinical and clinical content. The incumbent is expected to become proficient with all aspects of Maimonides Medical Center EHR, with the ability to assess others’ proficiency and provide individualized support. This position will work closely with the department’s manager and other EHR managers in respect to training.
Healthcare experience and hands-on experience with EMR application(s) required. Degree/certification in Information Systems, Nursing/Patients Care, or related fields a plus. Pleasant attitude; neat appearance, detailed oriented. Great communication skills. Content development utilizing, Captivate, Camtasia, etc., a plus.
Professionals without a healthcare-related degree must have direct on-site experience in a clinical setting, of at least five (5) years within the last 8 years and must be very familiar with processes, some policies, role expectations and medical vocabulary.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The education section below is a representation of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
B.A./B.S. degree (M.S./M.A. degree preferred)
Experience in a healthcare related field
5+ years experience training on an electronic medical record system, preferably Sunrise Clinical Manager (SCM), NextGen, SCI Scheduler, Kronos, etc.
Strong computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft products required (i.e. Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
Demonstrates competency regarding the Electronic Healthcare Record (EHR) application, while adhering to company’s directives. The incumbent must be able to:
1. Support the successful implementation of new and existing applications and workflow processes, while maintaining familiarity with medical and procedural terminology.
2. Must have the ability to provide instruction via classroom, Providers’ offices and through web-based applications trainings.
3. Must have the ability to conduct training sessions to teach employees how to use various Electronic Health Record applications, including but not limited to:
Group trainings for new employees including upper level management employees
Group training for existing employees
One on one formal trainings
Virtual training sessions
4. Assist with application upgrades through support testing and training activities as directed. Testing new functionality in non-production environment.
5. Participates as a member of various project work group, attend meetings as required and develops constructive work relationship with team members and other IT members/Project Managers.
6. Works closely with the EHR Applications Team to understand the EHR application changes and / or new functionality for inclusion into the training curriculum.
7. Works closely with the EHR Applications Team to align training requirements with project planning and ensure new hires receive requisite training on all applications.
8. Develops course content and materials. This will include presentation, hand-outs, training aids, paper and web-based systems documentations.
9. Develop Computer based Training (CBT) for various modules.
10. Assist in developing and maintaining all EHR training manuals and updates.
11. The ability to learn and teach new applications very quickly.
12. The ability to adapt to changes without issues.
13. Develops an expert level or super-user understanding of the EHR applications for training and limited support purposes.
14. Provides end user support whenever necessary to include troubleshooting basic application issues, providing issue resolution when necessary and escalating more complex issues to manager and IT as appropriate. Serve as liaison.
15. Provides leadership to others through example and sharing of knowledge/skill.
16. Maintains a professional, organized and clean working environment by adhering to organizational policies, guidelines and safety standards.
17. This position is not a typical 9a – 5p scheduled work day; incumbent must be willing to start the work day as early at 7a.m. and also willing to work late, depending on projects and training needs of various departments. This position does not allow for remote or hybrid work.
18. Must be willing to cross-train on all applications, clinical and non-clinical.
19. Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work for maximum efficiency and effectiveness.
20. Comfortable working under time pressures and diplomatically managing stress related to tense employee interactions.
21. Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities. General supervision of routine duties is performed with minimal supervision; occasional check of work while in progress; and work is reviewed upon completion.
Qualified applicants please submit a resume to: [email protected]